Apply to PIF
Thanks for your interest in becoming a Presidential Innovation Fellow (PIF)! Applications are currently closed. We recruit annually and usually open applications late winter through early spring of each calendar year.
Our next cohort
We closed our latest round of applications on May 14, 2021. Thank you to all who applied!
Our team is now reviewing all applications completed by 11:59pm PT on May 14, 2021. The application review part of the process takes the longest, so thank you in advance for your patience.
For those who are selected to interview, we plan to conduct interviews on a rolling basis throughout June, July, and August, and anticipate a start date this winter. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to provide updates on the status of your application until all fellows have been selected.
Here is our tentative timeline:
- May 14, 2021, 11:59pm PT: Applications are due! Thank you for applying.
- May - June 2021: Our Talent Team, HR team, and subject matter experts review and qualify all applications and resumes.
- June - August 2021: Interviews occur throughout June, July, and August 2021.
- September 2021: Final selections and tentative offers* will be made early September 2021.
- Autumn and Winter: After accepting the tentative offer, our pre-employment process begins. This includes security clearance (fingerprints, background check, etc.). Pre-employment typically takes a few months. You can learn more about our pre-employment process here.
- Winter: We welcome an amazing PIF cohort! We will be announcing the exact date as we get farther along in the process.
* “Tentative offer” means the offer is contingent on a background check.
Our interview process: What to expect!
For candidates selected to interview, here’s our process:
- Accessibility: If you are selected to interview, a member of our Talent Team will be in touch to ensure we’ll have any accessibility considerations covered. We typically conduct interviews as video calls, however, we realize that this option may not accommodate everyone’s needs. Throughout the hiring process, please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have a preferred method of communication and we will work with you to create a positive experience. If you require accommodations, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.
- PIF interviews begin with skills (your area of expertise), and candidates may progress to core competencies (behavioral questions, leadership, and/or navigating ambiguity) and core values (including diversity, equity, and inclusion).
- Agency interviews are with PIF’s federal agency partner(s). This is a conversation with the agency’s PIF project champion. The PIF team will share finalist resumes with agencies who then identify candidates that they would like to interview.
- Format: All interviews occur virtually and are typically scheduled for an hour in length. We offer live captioning or other accessibility assistance to all candidates.
- Offer Process: Once the agency interviews are complete, the PIF team will meet with each agency to discuss their selections. This gives us our list of finalists to whom we make offers! We operate within the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), and the GSA HR team will then make tentative offers to selected candidates. The PIF team will also set up calls with each incoming PIF to welcome them into our program and community, and answer any questions!
Thank you for reading!
We look forward to welcoming our new cohort this winter.
My life changed when I became a PIF. I became a part of the world's best organization for change, and it's been my most treasured experience.