PIF - Presidential Innovation Fellow - GS-15
The Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) is a highly-competitive program that pairs mid-to-senior level entrepreneurs,
technologists, designers and data scientists with top civil-servants and change-makers working within the federal
government to tackle some of our nation’s biggest challenges and deliver better solutions to U.S. citizens. Fellows
are embedded within agencies as entrepreneurs-in-residence for 12-24 month engagements working on mission critical problems,
shaping smarter policy and/or delivering on technology.
Since the program was launched in 2012 by former U.S. CTO Todd Park, 135 Fellows
have worked with over 35 agencies.
These Fellows have included the Lead Developer on Google Maps, Former CEO of Symantec and Co-Founder of the Earth Genome
Project. Past fellows’ projects have focused on improving care and access to benefits for our veterans, re-imagining cancer
clinical trials to increase awareness and access for patients, defining an ecosystem to help the private sector manage risk
and mitigate threats, and creating a central digital location to share and improve outcomes for children within the foster
The characteristics that we look for in Fellows, include:
Entrepreneurship and Initiative:
- Expert in a hard skill such as modern product management, software development, lean startup, strategy consulting,
analysis, strategic design, experience design, human centered design, data science, artificial intelligence, machine
learning, cybersecurity, etc.
- Self-starter- either an entrepreneur or intrapreneur with experience starting and building initiatives
- Ability to engage business problems, understand and design effective solutions and strategies that draw on current and
emergent tools, technologies, initiatives and other resources
- Experience delivering products or services from concept to market
Approach and Methodology:
- Expertise applying frameworks that emphasize delivery, iteration, quantitative/qualitative learnings and responsiveness
- Expertise determining user needs, identifying market opportunities and designing and deploying solutions
- Ability to apply forward thinking design and development principles to product development and project management such as
lean start-up, user centered design and agile
- Ability to describe esoteric and highly technical solutions to non-technical stakeholders
Empathy and Emotional Intelligence:
- High degree of emotional intelligence. A quick study, who intuitively knows what needs to get done to deliver with
- Experience in client-facing roles, navigating bureaucracy, business development and delivering services with a
strong user-facing or consumer-oriented element
- Coalition builder with the ability to persuade and convince others to think about solutions in new and creative ways.
Ability to know when you need to show and when you need to tell
- Tenacity to push forward over difficult obstacles
- Evidence navigating large, complex organizations and stakeholders
- Demonstrates patience and leads with humility
- At least 10 years of professional experience working in your area
- Demonstrated experience leading stakeholders through change where you don’t have explicit authority
- Ability to be a thought leader and contribute best practices in a variety of technologies and principles
- Teamwork - ability to lead teams and work effective with others within a team
- Interested in building a culture within the Fellowship and taking a genuine interest in other Fellows’ work,
including providing feedback and collaborating when appropriate
Objective #1: You will assess the state of digital services provided by the Federal Government, and work to align strategies and practice; conferring with key government/private officials and top experts in the field.
- You will analyze and scope the technical and policy requirements needed to implement complex digital solutions.
- You will leverage your experience deploying high-quality, user centric platforms and services to lead major initiatives.
- You will apply forward thinking design and development principles to product development and project management such as
lean start-up, user centered design and agile.
Objective #2: You will conceive/recommend projects/strategies to advance the state of the art in the specialty area.
- You will consult on systems and policy proposals, and provide technical policy and programmatic guidance to the government.
- You will demonstrate thought leadership, contributing best practices in a variety of technologies and principles.
- You will translate business problems into technology solutions that draw on current and emergent tools and technologies.
Objective #3: You will utilize an entrepreneurial mindset, technology acumen, and strong communication skills in order to drive projects from ideation to completion.
- You have the ability to present sensitive recommendations to higher authority and to articulate positions/policy of vast
- You possess knowledge of and expertise in driving and implementing technology solutions from concept to market that
overcome significant challenges resulting from complex bureaucratic environments or technically difficult problems.
- You have a high degree of emotional intelligence, are a quick study, and intuitively know what needs to get done to
deliver with integrity, ensuring compliance at all levels.
Base salary GS-15 - $134,789 to $164,200
If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected. Total compensation may include locality pay based on the individual’s duty location. For more salary information including locality pay details, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page.
Who May Apply:
All United States citizens who are not currently Federal employees or GSA contractors are eligible to apply.
The deadline to apply for the Summer 2019 cohort of Fellows is April 1st, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis with fellows starting mid-summer 2019.
To learn more about the minimum qualifications for this role, check out the job posting here.
For more information about our projects, click here.
For more information about the position, click here